Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

The example of this world is like that of a traveler.

Asalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
     
              A very old neighbor of my grandmothers moved away, and bought a new house, she insisted that we come over and see the house, so I went with my mother, and was awfully surprised, MashaALLAH ta'ala her house was really nice, but there was something bothering me. It was like FULL! She decorated so much, that she herself was really worried and tensed that where should we have our guests sit, She was asking my mother for advice, and really she said this so many times like she was REALLY worried. I was a little confused as there's nothing to worry about, just have them sit anywhere, and who said to decorate so much that you don’t know where to seat your guests. I don’t know how many people go over their house,
     but it seemed spacious to me, I mean like she had 3 sofas and so many chairs, isn't that enough? No offense to her, I’m just giving an example, basically mostly everyone here is like this. They pay so much over decorations, and then everything has to be perfect for the guests. Maybe it was weird for me because we are different, not that we didn’t decorate our house, we did, but a little, and we've never had a problem with seating the guests, I think this is the worry of people who are in dunya a little more. This has been bothering me a lot, that why do people look at the dunya so much, and care about what people say, We don’t have enough time to give...There’s so little time, and so much to do, our death is coming more and more near, and we are here worrying about how to decorate the house, and what to do at parties...There was a sahabi who made the walls of his house a little longer than the normal length, so when the prophet sallallahu alaihi wa sallam passed by, he became upset. Later, when that sahabi came up to him, he turned his face away, so the sahabi became really worried, and tried to inquire the reason of the prophet being upset with him, and upon finding out that its due to his wall. he rushed home and broke the WHOLE house down, YAH! The WHOLE house! I wonder what would happen if The prophet sallallahu alaihi wa sallam was here these days, Everyone’s biggest tension is having a better, bigger house than others, Its like some competition going on, Everyone’s like, OMA Their house is soooo beautiful, they had this kind of furniture, their tiles were so expensive, Did you see their frames, she was telling me she got most of them for a $1000, and their rugs! They were from "---" (some expensive famous shop), I’ve got to buy some more stuff for my house man....These sofas have gotten old, everyone’s seen them, its time for a change..... YA ALLAH! Are you serious?? This dunya is not going to last, you know like that saying:
الدنيا دار الممر لا دار المقر
("Dunya is a place which will be passed by, not everlasting") You know like a hallway, you don’t live there all your life, but you just pass by, from one place to another. That’s how the dunya is, no one shall live in it forever, but people will come and go, its like a hallway.


Ibn Umar narrates: one day I was with the Messenger of Allah (Sal Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam). He then turned to me, held my shoulders with both of his blessed hands, and said: "Be in this life like a stranger or a traveler." And whenever Ibn Umar narrated this to his students he would add: "If you reach the evening, do not await (to be alive) by dawn, And if you reach dawn, do not await (to be alive) by evening. Take advantage of your Health before you fall sick. And take advantage of your life, before you die." - Bukhari The Prophet - Sal Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam - said, "What have I got to do with the material world. The example of the material world and I is that of a traveler. Traveling in the afternoon heat, he stopped to rest under the shade of a tree for some moments. Then, he rose and left it." - Tirmidhi
 

Subhanallah ta'ala! Let me ask you something, If one of you travels, and has to stay at a hotel, do you go shopping to buy nice furniture, frames, vases, etc so that you can decorate your hotel room (as you all know how plain they are)? I don’t know about people, but I definitely don’t, so this world is like a hotel room, we all are traveling, and have stopped by in this hotel, and we soon will depart for our destination.

2 comments:

hmmm said...

MashaAllah taa'la I like ur posts and blog. I never thought about decorating the house too much. Jazakumullahu khayran for sharing ur thoughts.

Musaafirah said...

Jazakumullah ta'ala ahsanal jaza. wa iyaakum aameen. smilee