Wednesday, January 11, 2012
How to get rid of Pride (Takabbur)!
Assalamu Alaikum warahmatullahi t3ala wabarakatuhu,
(I wrote this for a sister, so thought I'd share it here too):
Kibr (Self-Pride) is one of most common diseases today, and one of the most difficult things to get rid of, may ALLAH t3ala protect us, and forgive us.
The Prophet (sallallahu alayhe wa salam) said "A person who has an atom's weight of pride in his heart will not enter Paradise". A person asked: "But one does like to wear good clothes and shoes!" The Prophet (sallallahu alayhe wa salam) replied: "Indeed Allah is beautiful and loves beauty!...." (Saheeh Muslim, Vol. 1, No. 164)
Some ways to get rid of takabbur(pride) are as following:
-Everytime you approach a muslim or pass by one try to be the first to say salam, even if you know that
person or you dont, always say salam, the prophet sallallahu alaihi wa sallam said: (البادئ بالسلام بريء من الكبر) aw kama qala alaihissalam
(The person who starts salam is free from takabbar/self pride)
- Think about what a human really is (the haqeeqat of a human), what is he made from? A piece of bloody meat..covered in filth..theres a few beautiful ayahs in
the Quran Karim concerning this, inshaALLAH t3ala I'll ask my friend where they are, and update this..then ponder in those ayahs..
- To dedicate yourself to helping others, weaker than you, younger than you, the poor, and If anyone does bad with you,
or says something rude, to think that I deserve it, and instead do good to them, and forgive them...
- Everytime you go out, think that your the worst person on this planet, you have the most sins, and that
everyone out there is better than you. if you see a non-muslim think he is better than you, because he may
accept islam and become a better muslim than you, and if you see a sinner: think I dont know whats in this persons
heart, he could be beloved to ALLAH t3ala, or he might change and become a better muslim than me...
- Do lots of khidmah, everyone you see, or meet, do their khidmah...like bring them water, or food,
or pressing their legs, if someone has not taken of her shoes properly, correct them...
- Keep your nafs in line, and keep testing it and punishing it, (you know muraqabah?)
(you know hasibu anfusakum qabla an tuhaasabu? it basically means question yourself about its acts before you are questioned (on the day of judgment))
If you start to do takabbur or feel your pride, stop it right away,
read tawwudh, and then scold your nafs, and ponder about how weak and muhtaj (needy) you are,
Nothing of yours is really yours, so what is there to have pride about??? Your clothes, hands, feet, house, car, money, belongings,
all body parts everything is ALLAH t3alas, you dont own anything, and it all can be taken from you in less than a second!
You cant even blink from your own choice, everything that happens, happens with the will of ALLAH t3ala!
- Make lots of dua, and do lots of istighfaar!
- There are some wonderful bayans for Maualan Tariq jameel sahab about takabbur..or the haqeeqat of a
human being..you can search on google..they are really helpful.
All advice is intended for myself first, then others.
wa billahi al-tawfeeq
Please keep me in your prayers, jazakumullah t3ala ahsanal jaza!